Valley Unified Continuing Education, as part of a unique and diverse St. John Valley culture, recognizes life-long learning as essential to individuals becoming vital members within one’s family, workplace, and community. Our goal is to promote opportunities for Valley residents to reach their individual potential in an engaging learning environment, encouraging high expectations while supporting individual needs. In partnership with Valley communities, we will provide access to high-quality programming which promotes continuing education and training that is centered on current academic, workforce, economic, and community development needs.
Our vision is to help support and inspire learners to reach toward their goals while providing resources to help them “connect with their future,” meeting the challenges of a growing, competitive local and regional community.
Your Future. Our Mission
Now there is a choice – announcing the new high school equivalency test from ETS.
Educational Testing Service (ETS), a leader in test assessment worldwide, now offers a more affordable, more accessible high school equivalency. The ETS High School Equivalency Test (HiSETR), the first alternative to the GED(R) test since 1942, includes elements that are critical to providing opportunities for those who need a second chance to succeed. Maine (along with 22 other states) now offers the HiSETR exam along with preparation coursework.
This new test requires online pre-registration on the HiSETR site located at the link below to create a student account and profile. Valley Unified Continuing Education staff can assist learners in this process. Just call 728-6314 or 834-3536 or stop by one of our offices located in Madawaska or Fort Kent. Students can NOT schedule their own testing session. This must be done at your local adult education office.
Click on this link or above for more HiSETR exam information:
College & Career Access Programming
What is CCAP?
- College readiness instruction in reading, writing, math & computer applications
- Career Training Courses & career preparation support
- Success building workshops
- Academic mentoring support
- Co-enrollment in college or workforce training courses
Our Career Pathways program has something for everyone. Whether you are seeking your HS diploma or US Citizenship, we can assist you in whatever your educational goals may be. You can choose from the following programs:
- Adult Basic Education (ABE): Our ABE program assists adults with Reading, Math and Writing skills at all levels . We have scheduled day and evening sessions, as well as one-on-one instruction.
- English as Second Language (ESL): Our ESL program helps adults practice oral and written English language skills. We have the ability to serve you regardless of your native language.
- Parent & Family Literacy: Coursework can be done in a relaxed environment. We also have parenting workshops and child development & parenting support.
- Learning Labs: We have scheduled day and evening sessions. Our knowledgeable instructors are available for support; computer and internet access are also available.
- High School Diploma Program: This program is designed for learners who need academic credits to meet program diploma credit requirements. An appointment is required for transcript evaluation and individual learning plan (ILP).
- HiSET Exam Preparation (High School Equivalency Test): The HiSet Exam is a series of 5 tests which entitles those who successfully pass the exam to earn a Maine state equivalency diploma. (Reading, Writing, Math, Social Studies, & Science) This diploma is legally equivalent to a standard high school diploma. Classes are designed to help prepare for each of these 5 required components. Learners take practice tests and work in content specific areas to improve their knowledge prior to official testing.(A pre-program interview with the director is required for HS Diploma or Equivalency Diploma programming.)
- Workforce Skills: Vocational skills include classes such as Welding, various Computer courses, Certified Nursing Assistant, CDL, and other certification programs.
- College Preparation: VUCE offers College & Career Access Programming (CCAP)
- Career Guidance: Career guidance and counseling is available to all participants at no cost. VUCE Staff can assist you in developing your future educational and career goals and create steps for reaching those goals.
Valley Unified Continuing Education offers a variety of Enrichment courses throughout each semester. Please view our current brochure for more details.
St. John Valley Senior College
The St. John Valley Senior College is a partnership between Valley Unified Continuing Education, the University of Maine at Fort Kent, and the Fort Kent Elderly Social Action Council. If you are 50+, join us in stimulating conversation, classes, lectures, and conferences. Membership is required. To become a member or register for classes, call 834-3536 or 728-6314. You can also stop by one of the Continuing Education sites located at the Community High School in Fort Kent or at the Madawaska Middle/High School. To view the latest course offerings, please visit see our current brochure or stop in for more information.